[pct-l] PCT with kids

Stephen Clark rowriver at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 1 19:21:00 CDT 2009

When my son was preteen we did large sections of the JMT and other trails in Yosemite and Sequoia.

>From time to time I would ask him about his desire to do the entire PCT with me and he always said, "Yeah dad, let's go!"

I felt he was a bit young then so put it off for awhile, then life got in the way, and I finally got around to having the time to start the PCT this year.

When I ask my son if he was ready to do this with me as he had said (he's 20 now), his response was, "Yeah, right dad!" So, if yours is interested and you feel he's experienced enough and he feels he's trained enough... DO IT!

As an educator and psychologist I would say just don't push him. If he's tired and you need to "zero" at a time you may not feel you need the zero... take a zero. If he's burn't out at any point, take him off the trail and pick it up again later. You don't want to turn him away from it permanently.

Oregon Bound