[pct-l] Hiker Traffic at half way point

Meridith Rosendahl mrosendahl at digitalpath.net
Mon Jul 27 13:38:58 CDT 2009

Since July 12 we have been available for hikers at Highway 36 near
Chester and the halfway point on the trail.  It appears that the herd
has gone through and traffic is slowing considerably to the point where
only 1 or 2 hikers come through daily.

We are leaving on vacation, hard to do when I know there are still
hikers out there.  We removed the cooler this morning, but we left the
hiker box and a few jugs of water.   It's a hard hitch to town; the
trail crossing is in a terrible place at the top of a small rise.
Traffic on highway 36 is going fast and there's very little warning that
a hiker may have his or her thumb out, and not much room to pull over.
Hikers may have long waits getting a ride to Chester.  I wish I could be
here to get their phone calls....

Every single one of the hikers who came through were the most amazing
people and we will very much miss them.  They really get under your skin
and into your heart.

Piper's Mom and Lowell
(Aunt Meridith and Uncle Lowell to one)