[pct-l] re Ranger report at Burney Falls

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 09:37:52 CDT 2009

She's so-o-o right about the numbers.  And we're restocking Cache 44 at the
beginning of the Hat Creek Rim walk every day.  It's a top-off cache after
watering up 3 miles earlier at Subway Cave.  We've fed over 85 hikers this
last week, and quite a few are picking up their boxes at the Old Station
P.O. and going on without stopping.  Anyone wanting to rest a few hours, get
a shower, maybe a game of horseshoes or cribbage and get back on the trail
are welcome to ask the store or the P.O. to call us.  We're close by and
will pick up hikers and get them back whenever they call.  The Rim section's
really hot...99 degrees yesterday here...that makes the Rim roughly 115.  To
help hikers stay hydrated we have a full report on water availability
posted.
It seems that quite a few NOBO's are skipping the Rim, not sure why.  I
mean, it's a scorcher up ther, that's for sure...but it's been hotter by
several degrees in the past.
 Also we've had several hikers with a stomach and bowel problem.  Imodium is
taking care of it.  Dehydration is one of the symptoms.  One hiker thru here
needed to be rehydrated in our local hospital.  It took two liters of fluid
to even get a blood sample.  Keep that water intake up......
FireFly