[pct-l] Planning and start dates

Postholer public at postholer.com
Sat Jul 25 20:28:37 CDT 2009

Taking the time to acquire mountaineering training prior to your hike is a
fantastic idea. Not only will it serve you if things get iffy, it will help
you appreciate your hike even more.

No matter how fervently it's promoted, the reality is most folks won't take
the time to get that training.

As a fair weather hiker myself, I would never, ever encourage another
untrained, fair weather, potential thru-hiker to start in March or early
April. You'll likely have to deal with nasty weather from day 1 and
certainly deal with snow in SoCal mountains. Talk about bringing risk to
others such as SAR members, that's the recipe!

As a fair weather hiker, I will *gladly* deal with a couple daily miles of
sun cups, rotten snow, mosquitos and a FEW challenging creek crossings any
day of the week as opposed to walking endless miles on snow and route
finding. It's utterly exhausting. Hiking fewer miles on snow is not a
choice, the terrain demands it.

Starting late April/early May (depending on conditions and ability) a hiker
has +/- 5 months to complete their hike AND plenty of time to smell the
roses.

(Fair weather hiker does not mean unprepared)

-postholer