[pct-l] Water treatment: AquaMira and...?

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Mon Jul 20 13:49:37 CDT 2009

Mike,

It is your hike and your life.

However there is a reasonable amount of literature available poo-pooing
the need for all the water treatment. Rather all the talk about water
treatment is the authorities responding to legal requirements and
concerns about liability issues, commercial interests promoting the sale
of water treatment paraphernalia, and people just repeating what they
have heard.

 From what I've read, there is very little chance one would get sick
with ghiardia or cryptosporidium from drinking untreated water. Most
times hikers get sick from poor sanitation -- either inadequate cleaning
of their cooking and eating utensils or not adequate cleaning after
toileting.

That said, if I have doubts about the water I treat it with a saturated
iodine solution.

Tortoise

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

--H. L. Mencken

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>