[pct-l] Water treatment: AquaMira and...?

Umstead Tim-MGI1984 tumstead at motorola.com
Mon Jul 20 10:52:58 CDT 2009

My current opinion of the Steripen is not.  I have always used pumps and
for my b-day, my wife got me a Steripen.  I opened it, installed the
batteries and it would not power up.  No lights at all.  I checked the
batteries and they were fine.  We exchanged it at REI.  When I got home
I opened it and installed the batteries.  The LED light up and I tried
it in a cut of water.  It worked.  Last month I started to get ready for
our up coming backpacking trip and I once again tested the new Steripen,
it had a red blinking LED (low/replace battery).  I when out and bought
two new batteries, at 10 buck a pop, and the Steripen gave me the same
red blinking LED.  I then checked all four batteries and all of them
were fully charged.  Once again there was something wrong with the
Steripen.  I returned it to REI and do NOT get another one.  If I cannot
get a good one in two tries then I will use my old method.  It lest I
can rely on it.  Go online and read the reviews on the Steripen, they
come out at about 50/50.