[pct-l] bargain shopping for PCT

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Jul 19 11:27:14 CDT 2009

Good morning, Mikey,

For most of history poor folks walked because they had to go somewhere and
they couldn’t afford to ride.  It’s only been in recent years that our
decadence has taught us to walk when we don’t have to, and to throw money at
the activity in the process.

It is very possible – and desirable – to economize on gear, thereby saving
money for other more important discretionary spending, such as for pizza and
beer.  Preoccupation with “stuff”, particularly expensive, high-class
“stuff”, doesn’t usually last more than a week or 100 miles of trail –
whichever comes first.  At that point price, specifications, name-brands,
and the fads-de-jour are forgotten, being replaced with interest in just
getting up the trail with companions.  At that point we’re all just
hiker-trash regardless of what gear we carry or clothes we wear.

Someone on a budget like you is definitely a good candidate for ultra-lite
hiking.  After all, the lightest and least expensive piece of gear is the
piece we examine in the store but decide not to buy.

Often, clothes like shirts, shorts, fleece sweaters, and the like, can be
found used at the thrift store.  After 20 minutes on the trail the “new”
stuff is “used” anyway.  I save quite a bit of money on socks because I’m
not too particular.  In fact, I hiked from Cascade Locks almost to Stevens
Pass without wearing socks at all.  When I do wear socks I buy the
inexpensive, medium weight, ankle-high, polyester socks in a bundle of a
dozen from the discount store for about $4 per pair.  A leading outfitter
has racks full of socks, most of which are over $15 per pair.

Clearance sales – or eBay -- are a good place to buy trekking poles, but
remember:  You may want them, but you probably don’t need them.  I hiked
over 50 years without poles before I got old and klutzy.  Same can be said
for an ice axe.

You don’t need the expensive – and heavy – stove.  You can make a perfectly
functional alcohol stove out of a couple of cat-food cans or soft-drink cans
using little more than your own ten thumbs.  That’s what most long-distance
hikers use, anyway.  Titanium pots are lite but expensive, so many hikers
use other little aluminum pots, like the “grease pot” that Wal-Mart used to
sell for under $10.  Since I eat no-cook food I save even that modest weight
and money.

Plastic soda bottles are great water and fuel carriers:  they’re lite,
durable, and they are essentially free.  Take your choice among water
purification methods – most of which are heavy and/or expensive – but I use
an ounce of Clorox per 1000 miles.  Clorox costs about $1 per quart.

I use a home-made Sil-Nylon tarp instead of a heavier and much more
expensive tent.  I sleep perfectly well on a simple, thin, closed-cell foam
pad rather than the fancier and heavier, inflatable item.  It’s hard to
economize on a sleeping bag for ultra-lite hiking.  Hikers prefer a bag that
is good, lite, and cheap.  Unfortunately, we can have only two of those
attributes at one time.  Mine is good and lite, but not cheap.

Enjoy your hiking season,

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

 http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

 http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09