[pct-l] SuperSecrets - Pack Waist Belt

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Jul 19 09:26:00 CDT 2009

NOTE: Sorry, but I sent a post without a reply post.
Tortoise writes: I have an old Kelty quick release stainless steel buckle from the 70's. I made a new front half of the waist belt for my old A16 frame so I could use the quick release buckle and it really is neat. Just a simple flip and the buckle is loose and I can lower the pack. Also very fast and easy to fasten when I put the pack back on. I don't know how one could make a lighter version except make it from titanium. I don't know how much weight that would save. Maybe someone here has an idea for that or for a similar buckle for todays' light weight gear.?
?
I like to sleep out "cowboy style" when the weather permits. It's nothing new. Most BPers did back in the 70's. Good old days??
Sir Switchback of Trail Pirate replies: My waist belt helper is just something like a super jumbo cowboy belt buckle only light?-- you have seen?cowboys walking around rodeos, etc., with their super monster belt buckles.? It is oval and slips on the waist belt near the buckle to spread the load out over the stomach.? Very simple device.? The extra holding power of using this is amazing.

Yes, back in the old days, when we were doing 4 mph on the trail.??When men were?mountainmen and women loved it.? Back when we chased hot Neantheral women and cooked a good Saber Tooth Mountain Lion steak over the camp fire.? I started in the Sierras around?1969 on the High Sierra Trail from Giant Forest to Mt. Whitney.? One of the great backpacking trails in the world.? I? actually set foot on the PCT in 1968 near?Illydwild -San Jacinto.? So, I am part of the Class of 1968.? :-)