[pct-l] SuperSecrets - Hiking Radio

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Jul 19 09:04:32 CDT 2009

The Incredible Bulk writes:? Switchback, you hit the dx nail on the head. DXing is best when the
antenna is as high as you can get it. In the Sierra, you can't get much higher in the continental US.? Since I am an amateur radio op,?when I do bring a radio on the trail (very rare lately) I bring a
yaesu vx-2r. It receives the VHF and UHF ham bands plus the broadcast and shortwave bands.? It is very light and I hook up a long wire antenna to improve shortwave reception.? I use headphones so I don't disturb the silence.?? It's one more way for me to enjoy the trail and all she has to offer.-------------------------------------------------------------
Sir Switchback of SuperSecrets?replies: Yes, you could not be more right.? I used to use a long wire attached to the nearest PCT or JMT or High Sierra Trail pine tree.? Super fun.? I had my list of SW English broadcasts from around the world with GMT-PST time listings.? But now I am old.? So, it is AM-FM now.? That is as much as I can handle.? It is like my women, simple, but quality.? :-)