[pct-l] SuperSecrets - Hiking/Trekking Poles

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Jul 18 08:47:01 CDT 2009

Many hiker use hiking poles today.? I use some from www.GossamerGear.com.? Here are some ideas how to use your poles better.

1.? Go to the Walmart auto section and buy some reflective tape.? Put a piece on each of the poles near the grip area.? This give you some reflection when road walking.? PCT hikers have been killed road walking in low light conditions when vehicles might have their lights on.? Over the reflective tape you might want to put some clear packing tape to protect it.? I also use reflective tape on my pack.

2.? Above the basket area at the bottom of the pole, wrap some duct tape around the shaft.? This area takes a beating on the trail.? Mine measures about 8 inches from the basket up the shaft.? It is amazing after a few trips how beat up the tape is.

3.? Many hikers hold their poles incorrectly.? To correctly use your poles, run your hand up the shaft through the strap to the grip.? Now you are holding?the poles/straps correctly.? If you have super light balancing poles like I have, you only have a simple "Keeper Cord" on the pole, so you do not accidentally drop it.? It is not meant for pressure like the larger pole straps.

4.? Use some SuperGoo to "glue" the pole baskets to the shaft.? These things too often come off and you do not notice it until you are in camp at the end of the day.? Very frustrating.

All the above cost you may be a few grams in weight and is well worth it.

May the Trail Be With You.

Switchback the Trail Pirate
Author of the upcoming blockbuster SuperSecrets of Backpacking Digest.? Also, at the 2010 April Kickoff the Digest will be available for all hard core hiker trash backpackers - people like me.? :-)