[pct-l] Knee replacement

Jim and_or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 12 17:44:21 CDT 2009

JoAnn:

Jim had a total knee replacement in mid-November.  In mid-May he was on the PCT.  Ideally he would have waited longer to get back to long distance hiking, but we had slowly built up the mileage and he felt he was ready.  We hiked about 400 miles before we left the trail, due to a meniscus tear in his other knee.  There was some pain in the new joint, especially on the longer mileage days, but less than he had been having before the surgery.

Good luck with the surgery.  It doesn't mean the end of hiking.  But tell your doctor what you intend to be doing.  There's more than one kind of artificial joint, and more  than one way of attaching it.  If you intend to be doing long hikes, make sure the surgeon understands what that means.

Ginny