[pct-l] Tents

The Incredible Bulk ki6asp at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 11:20:41 CDT 2009

Hi Highlife,
I have used a Hubba in the past, but this year I switched to a tarp and
bivy, and used the tarp only once on my recent trip, just to see how it
setup on the trail.  I did not regret my decision to change to this combo.
 It rarely rains on the PCT, well, at least in California.  So tents, I
feel, are more than what is needed, they are heavy, and take up valuable
pack space.  The tarp/bivy combo gives me a lot of options, like being able
to camp in tiny sites that would not accommidate a tent or tarp.  The bivy
will add a few extra degrees of warmth to my sleeping bag if needed.  The
bivy, when used with the tarp provides, all the rain protection I need, and
the bivy alone provides bug protection as I demonstrated to myself this past
week.  It was nice being able to laugh at the mossies hovering just outside
my bivy's netting.  When there was no bug, I just cowboy camp, which makes
getting back on the trail in the morning very easy.

I can also find more places to stow the tarp and bivy in my lightweight
pack, unlike a larger tent, where the only option in my sutiation is the
large outside pocket.

But remember, YMMV and HYOH.

Tom
The Incredible Bulk