[pct-l] Russian Lakes trail blocking rock update

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Thu Jul 9 21:18:03 CDT 2009

Over the July 4th weekend, I hiked from Kidder Lake to Trail Gulch Lake
along the PCT. I met three section hiking women near Shelly Mdws who knew me
from this forum, which was nice to hear. I also noticed that Eric D hiked
thru in late June via a register. The weather was hot, clear, and water was
good. Don't camp in Shelly Meadows, it's skeeter hell!  There were some logs
cleared and many still on the trail. However, just below the Statue in the
Russians, there is a huge car sized boulder blocking the trail completely on
that west facing trail section that leads under Russian Peak. Beware, for a
horse, or stock, this could be a problem as it is a tight squeeze to get by
it as a hiker. I've notified the USFS and PCTA about it. Here's a couple
photos of it.
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/image/114771521
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/image/114771522
Here's the photos from my hike.