[pct-l] Sept-Oct OR-CA questions

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 6 21:10:55 CDT 2009

I was on the trail in Northern California or Southern Oregon during September for 3 years, 2004 - 2006.

I was in Oregon in 2005, a very dry year, and don't recall having much problem finding water. I remember some seasonal sources being dry or slow in Northern California. However, my view is skewed because I'm from SoCal and don't expect many water sources. If the guide book says it's seasonal be prepared for it to be dry. There was no water between Mt Thielson and Crater Lake. In September you should run into a fair number of northbound hikers that can keep you up to date on the water sources.

Each year I had a storm drop some snow in mid-September. It was nothing that stopped my hike or would prevent me from doing it again. It was wet and cold and once it was enough to make route finding difficult. In 2004 we got off the trail in mid-October just before an early winter storm trapped many hikers as far south as Yosemite.

I've heard of some folks that take a bus north to Vancouver, WA and then a county bus to Stevenson, just across the river from Cascade Locks. I don't have the Portland to Vancouver connection information but here's a link to the county bus. They may drop you off right at the bridge.
http://www.skamaniacounty.org/public_transit.htm
I would verify bus service with a call because public transit always seems to take a hit in hard times.

Some of the resources listed in the guidebooks may close at the end of summer. If you're going to use one for a mail drop or resupply verify that they will be open when you get there.

Have fun reading the guidebook backwards.

Snap