[pct-l] Crossing snow and creeks

kmurray at pol.net kmurray at pol.net
Sat Jan 31 01:13:02 CST 2009

I've enjoyed the discussion started off my my old ADZPCTKO seminar
partner, Ned.

One point that Ned made in our shared presentation that has not come up
yet is one of the most important tools available:

Patience.

In almost any situation that you might encounter that you find uncertain:
wait.   One of the Attributes of the PCT (although often listed as a
detriment), is that a lot of people hike this trail, and not just thru's.

If there is a stream that you just don't feel comfortable with, wait.
Someone will come along.  Crossing in a group is VASTLY safer than by
oneself.

If there is snow to be crossed that you are scared to try, wait.  Someone
more experience will be by.  It is hard to imagine that an experienced
person would not help a person having trouble.

Except for Scott and Bryan, this is not really a race.  An accident will
lose FAR more time, than waiting to traverse safely.

As usual at the KO, we'll talk about the specific passes and streams that
predictably cause problems, and how to improve the safety margins.