[pct-l] High Sierra Snow: Leaders and followers

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 30 01:37:01 CST 2009

Diane wrote:
> I was cheated out of the trail by my fears which were partially
> inflamed by the hyperbole on this forum. So please, be realistic.

Yeah, being realistic is good.  I guess the reason it's so hard to achieve
is that every hiker on the trail experiences a different reality, since
conditions are always changing.  Sometimes the passes *are* covered with
steep icy snow.  Sometimes they're not.  Sometimes the rivers are raging
torrents; sometimes they're not.  Most often they're not.  But every once in
awhile things get interesting.

I guess my definition of "reality" is to try to understand the reasonable
*range* of possible conditions and understand, as much as possible, how to
approach each set of circumstances in a safe and well-prepared manner.
Sure, most people won't face super-extreme conditions on the trail.  But
there are a few who will, and it's worthwhile to know the lessons that the
hiking/climbing community has learned over the years.  Know what to do with
an ice axe.  Know how to assess avalanche conditions.  Know why it's a
really bad idea to tie on to a rope as an safety anchor when crossing a
swollen river.  And then relax because you probably won't have to use that
knowledge, and take comfort in the fact that you can *always* turn around if
the going gets sketchy.  There are very, very few situations in which you
have no choices.  Choose life!

I guess the trick is to be realistic about best-case *and* worst-case
scenarios without resorting to hyperbole.  If anyone figures out the magic
balance, let me know.  :-)

Eric