[pct-l] High Sierra Snow: Leaders and followers

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jan 30 00:25:29 CST 2009

On Jan 29, 2009, at 9:54 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Re: High Sierra Snow: Leaders and followers

Let's not start stoking out-of-control fears about snow and raging
rivers. I was scared off the trail by such stories.

I found the snow on the PCT annoying and tiring but not incredibly
dangerous. With no experience in snow, I found it hard to walk on,
mostly when it was flat. It was slippery and the sun cups were more
like the chasms of hell. Following the trail became a chore because
it was hidden. But even without a compass and map you could find the
way if you were hiking within the bubble of the herd.

I was too scared of the few creek crossings described in the book as
dangerous so I skipped those parts of the trail. But trying to find
information about what those creek crossings actually were like has
been a bust. It seems they were so forgettable that nobody remembered
them well enough to complain about them in their journals.

I was cheated out of the trail by my fears which were partially
inflamed by the hyperbole on this forum. So please, be realistic.