[pct-l] Tarp tent hem and bug clothes.

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 29 19:40:55 CST 2009

I'm looking at my shelter and considering building a tarp tent for myself.
Can someone who sews tell me the name of the proper hem and stich would be for the silnylon so Ican figure that out with my helper (Mom).

What I tried this last summer was a bug net shelter and a plastic green tarp, (5x8 Ithink). This worked rather well even in some all night light rain.  The bug net is awsome as I have a bug free room if I want, but I wont need a relaxation asylum hiking all day.  So I really like the tarp tent idea as it is the best of both, but quick to set up and pretty light.  Setting up the net and tarp is a bit time consuming and not much fun when really knackered after a hard day.

Also, I could make myself a couple other items while I'm at it, and I'm wondering if the skeeters in OR are worth taking Jardine's advice and sending up some breathable nylon protection.  Ussually when the bugs are bad in the Sierra in camp I don my wind/rain shell and long johns etc, and occasionally have had a head net but hate those things. But will I hate a head net in OR?  But the way Jardine's old book I used to read sounds as if one might be hiking in a swarm.  On the other hand, I've come accross JMT hikers in full net gear and was myself in my ussual shorts and light shirt, a little bug juice when I stop for break and just keep moving through the bad sections.  I just wonder if my approach inthe south would hold up farther north.  I'm thinking not so good, and I certainly don't wan to be covered in deet for days on end.  I melted the paint off my watch and hiking poles once, so just trying to think ahead a little.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.