[pct-l] Canisters

Paul paul_c at tuxcnc.org
Thu Jan 29 14:27:15 CST 2009

On Thursday 29 January 2009, Ken Powers wrote:
> My feeling is that you should decide which stove to use and not carry both.
> The hitch to the very light alcohol stoves is that they use heavier fuel.

One of the advantages of an alcohol stove is their simplicity - Two drinks
cans, a few minutes with a penknife, and you are ready to cook.

The whisper-light stove has the advantage that it will burn almost any liquid
fuel (kerosene, gasoline, even diesel), so resupply at a filling station or
parking lot is easy.. But it is a heavy stove.

Pocket-Rockets are quick and easy to use, and fairly light - Fuel canisters
can be a problem though..

On my last trip out, I used a Pocket-Rocket and packed a home made pepsi-can
stove as a backup with sufficient fuel for a couple of days - I would
probably use the same strategy for a longer hike.

Regards, Paul.