[pct-l] Canisters

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Thu Jan 29 12:37:52 CST 2009

Our cooking consists of boiling 2+ cups of water for tea/hot chocolate in
the morning. Marcia also uses a small amount of this boiled water to clean
her contacts. At night we boil +/- 4 cups water for hot chocolate and to
rehydrate pasta, instant rice, or other foods. After the boiling water is
added to the foods we turn off the stove and cover our cooking pot with a
fleece jacket.  We also use a wind screen wrapped loosely around the stove
and pot. This allows us to conserve fuel. We are getting 5-7 days off each
small (110 gram) canister that way. That's for 2 people. We would probably
ship a large canister with our food for long stretches like the high sierra.
The large canister would last for over 10 days. We would never carry more
than 10 days food, so we would pick up our next canister with our food.
Notice that you may be carrying out an empty canister for some/many legs.

Since we mailed all our food with canisters I can't tell you where you will
or will not find canisters. My guess is that you will find them thru
California. You may find them thru Oregon, but Washington's resupply towns
are very small and probably won't have canisters.  We used a spreadsheet to
calculate where to ship canisters (figuring a new canister every 5 days). We
usually end up with to much fuel and either burn it off or ship some home.

My feeling is that you should decide which stove to use and not carry both.
The hitch to the very light alcohol stoves is that they use heavier fuel. We
think that we are lighter using canisters if the resupply leg is more than
about 3 days.

See www.gottawalk.com/shipping_fuel for information on shipping fuel. Two
updates I need to make to that page:
1) Esbit is Hexamethylenetetramine UN1328, ORM-D only,  No Air Mail, surface
(Thanks Frank Dumville)
mail allowed.
2) You may want to consider shipping your fuel separately from your food.
Fuel is shipped by ground (truck). It seems to be the last package on the
truck because it can take a very long time to arrive. Allow 2-4 weeks lead
time. A package with just food should arrive within a week. Note that
delivery times vary greatly depending on distance shipped and remoteness of
the destination.

Stoves, like other equipment, are a personal choice. I suggest you take your
equipment out for a test hike. (Maybe this is not the right time for that in
eastern Canada. But you could test your stove inside.)

Ken
www GottaWalk com