[pct-l] Will I die using Fuel canisters?

Will Hiltz will.hiltz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 08:10:19 CST 2009

HI David-

I've run into similar problems in the past when I've emailed out about the
availability of fuel for my Whisperlite.  Most responses don't actually
address my question, but rather expound upon the virtues of the alcohol
stove.  I call these people stove nazis!  Not to worry though, those of us
who like to legally use stoves in fire restricted areas and heat piping hot
ramen can still hike the trail.  My guess is that you'll be able to find a
cannister in all the places that have an outfitter-- off the top of my head:

Idyllwild
Wrightwood
Bishop
Mammoth
Tahoe
Chester (maybe)
Mt. Shasta City
Ashland
Sisters
Trout Lake (MAYBE, though the outfitter might now be closed)
Packwood
Winthrop

A couple of these places are a little farther off the trail but easily
reachable through hitching.  I don't know how fast you go through cannisters
but it seems to me the only area you might have a serious issue is towards
the northern end of the trail.  A jaunt into Portland or Seattle would
obviously fix that.  It was also my experience that many hiker boxes
contained cannisters that were at least partially (sometimes mostly) full so
that could also help you out in a pinch.  Given how much use one of the
people I traveled with was getting out of her cannister, I think finding
white gas is the much harder task.  Even then, I only ran out once for a
couple of days.  Hope this helps!

YITOOD,

Easy