[pct-l] Pct-l Digest V13 I95/Bears

Drew Engman drew_engman at verizon.net
Sun Jan 25 14:49:13 CST 2009

 Re:"I lay there, my body braced against panic.  For a moment I was aware of
the two days of food under my head, but 99% of my awareness was outside my
tent, listening to the sounds of the animal move at its own pace, snuffing
once in a while, moving stuff.  I imagined it stalking my tent, circling,
getting ready to move in for the kill, relishing and anticipating rending
me, tearing me apart into tasty morsels."

We are mammals, it would be a non-survival trait to not have any alarm at
large predators stalking our campground. I like your assessment, tho'. Black
bears are usually not a problem until they become "nuisance bears." I don't
think they relocate these bears right on the PCT ;~>. I've hiked along and
came upon bears about 6 times in the last 40 years, they were usually afraid
of me and only interested in rummaging for "junk food." But I am merely a
day hiker and camper, and stay around the San Gabriel mountain range and the
southwestern Mojave desert.

Desert Man, the Xeric Xenophile