[pct-l] Training for the 2009 Campaign

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Jan 21 03:50:42 CST 2009

Here is an excellent training routine for all you hardcore hikers.

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 5-lb potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can.

Try to reach a full minute, and then relax. Each day, you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato sacks. Then try 25-lb potato sacks and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 50-lb potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute.

This is the level I am now. This is really good, since I am training for the upcoming?PCT thru-hike in?2012.?

After you feel confident at that level, then start putting a potato in each of the sacks