[pct-l] pole noise and trail sign

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Tue Jan 20 21:34:59 CST 2009

This brings up a topic I'd like to second, pole noise.

I prefer to not carry or use hiking poles because I don't like carrying
anything in my hands while hiking. Just me. The only exception is when I'm
snowshoeing, skiing, or climbing on snow.

This last summer, while hiking with my son who was yo-yoing the Muir, I
happened to hear the "clicking" of other hikers' poles as they hiked. Since
we were south-bound, most of the "herd" was approaching us. We'd take breaks
at various times during our day, sitting by the trail in the wondrous quiet
that is the Wilderness, and off in the distance we'd start hearing the
"clicking" of approaching hikers.

Never heard it before. No wonder the animals hear you coming!

The other thing is all the indendations along the edges of the trail. New
signs of humans on-trail!

Ned Tibbits, CEO
Pacific Crest Custom Builders, Inc
    P: 888-996-8333