[pct-l] Bear Cannisters Q

C. Hansen cloxdog at rocketmail.com
Tue Jan 20 18:37:43 CST 2009

Marion, George, All -

I've been watching the bear cannister thread with some interest simply because I'm interested in the likelihood of a bear encounter on trail.  I have no problem carrying a cannister where it is required, or even recommended.  However, it will be a new experience for me..  Typically, since I hike in Grizzly Habitat, I carry Counter Assault Bear Spray as my bear deterrent.  The thought is, if a bear approaches for any reason, food or otherwise, he gets sprayed.  Thankfully, I've never needed to use it.

Being relatively new to the list (lurker for a month or so), I have not seen this topic broached.  I wasn't able to find it in the archive or FAQ's either, unless it gets included in the "Firearms" section of the FAQ's.  Regardless, forgive me if I've overlooked it.

I'm curious as to people's thoughts about whether to carrying this on trail or not...  Is it eight ounces of insurance I'd be better off leaving at home?

C. Hansen

Message: 9