[pct-l] socks

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Jan 20 18:18:56 CST 2009

On Jan 20, 2009, at 1:14 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> What are everyone's thoughts about socks?

I brought 3 pairs, all different. A thick pair, a thin pair and
Injinji toe socks or wool Icebreakers.

Having different socks allowed me to try all kinds of different
combinations depending on blisters, trail wetness/stream crossings,
temperature, mood, dirtiness, whatever. At times I would wear all
three or just one pair. Eventually my feet were tough and it didn't
really matter what I wore.

Here's a trick I resorted to for cushioning: I bought a pair of 2oz
foam insoles (called the 2oz miracles) and stashed them in my pack.
Whenever there was a road walk, I'd slip those in my shoes.
Eventually I wore them on the trail, too. They are so cheap and do
not last terribly long, but I swear they are the softest, most
comfortable things ever made.