[pct-l] Hiker Heaven, Agua Dulce - 2009

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Jan 19 12:57:20 CST 2009

Thanks, Barney for the reminder that it's time to post information about
hosting for the upcoming season. I know I speak for all trail hosts when I
say we get real excited this time of year as hikers are getting ready for
the trail.  We know that wonderful people and memorable times are on their
way.

Hiker Heaven (mile 454.4 - Agua Dulce Section D/E) will be open for our 13th
season from April 1 through June 30 and September 1 through October 31, for
those hiking the trail. Hikers may stay up to three-days and two-nights, and
we sincerely hope that everyone will treat themselves to a zero and two
near-o's here. Non-hiking visitors are very welcome though not for overnight
stays. For the first time in our years of hosting, we will be instituting a
limit of 50 hikers per night on a first-come, first-served basis.  No
reservations accepted or required.

Agua Dulce has a grocery, general, and hardware stores, three restaurants,
and a great deli in the market. Everyone here looks forward to your arrival.
Denatured alcohol is donated by the hardware store and is available at Hiker
Heaven to all hikers, whether you're staying here or not.  Same goes for
water reports and information regarding trail conditions ahead.

Mail and packages should be sent to:

	Your Name
	c/o The Saufley's
	11861 Darling Road
	Agua Dulce, CA 91390

All courier services (FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc.) deliver here.  Please do NOT
require a signature for delivery.  If you mail your package almost anywhere
else in the area, it comes here anyway.  There is no post office here and no
other locations in town holding packages for hikers at this time. We have a
new mail lady this year and she says she's been warned about what happens
here, but we'll see how it goes and do our best to keep her happy.

Another big change this year is that we will not be loaning vehicles to
hikers as we have in the past.  We've had a really wonderful long run of
good fortune in lending our vehicles to hikers, and nothing catastrophic has
happened.  We're grateful for that.  But you don't have to be a genius to
understand the risk involved with this practice, and we've decided not to
continue taking these risks any longer (I hear the silent cheer rising up
from those of you who thought we were nuts to do this in the first place and
told us so).

My plan is to contact local transportation companies to see if they are
willing to run shuttle vans from here to the post office, gear retailers,
train stations, doctors, and other services for a reasonable cost to the
hikers, hopefully not much more than they would pay for gas. Anyone who has
ever had to split the cost of filling Big Red (our Suburban) knows what I'm
talking about.  I hope for something that makes sense.  If something
reasonable cannot be achieved, I will put out the call for volunteers to
help drive the hikers into nearby larger towns this season.  We may be able
to work with the gear retailers to set up an overnight delivery; and you can
always order online for delivery here or ahead. Stay tuned for more to come
on this topic.

I'll repost this with a link to our website once it's been updated and I
have additional information.  I wish all the hopefuls this year the very
best in the dreaming, planning, and preparation. Enjoy.

L-Rod