[pct-l] Trekking poles

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Sun Jan 18 20:58:34 CST 2009

I used a pair of Komperdell C3 carbons (same as REI)  all this year,
starting with a long cross country alpine trip in the Trinity Alps. I used
them on the PCT in Washington in the August rainy period and had trouble
getting them to lock when the shafts were wet. Finally the internal lock
itself came loose and one pole would no longer lock, and it ended up about 8
inches shorter than the other when the section collapsed inside. I reglued
the internal expander when I got home with JB bond, and now they work fine.
I like the C3 light swing weight.  Recently I bought a set of Black Diamond
Alpine CF poles, and prefer the lock on them much better. The BD have a
little more swing weight to them, feel stouter, and have tiny little baskets
that are only good for sand and mud. Snow baskets are available at extra
cost. Today I hiked up to Cook 'n Green Pass above Seiad Valley. There's
very little snow in this area, and this is the earliest I've ever been into
the Red Buttes. While hiking across the snow, I postholed and fell forward
and snapped my right pole's lower section. I think the little snow basket
was a problem because the pole sunk in deep in the solid snow as I sunk and
then fell forward.  Geez!! Here's a photo. I still prefer carbon poles for
the lower swing weight, but even when I treat them nice, problems can occur.
Black Diamond has replacement parts, but Komperdell doesn't. There's a few
other shots of the low snow in the Red Buttes in the inbox.
 http://www.pbase.com/image/108291039/original