[pct-l] Shelters, Tarptents and Rain

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 19:01:17 CST 2009

I used a Tarptent Virga 2 for the whole
PCT, and even with about two weeks of rain in Washington, never got
wet inside the tent from the rain. Condensation, yes, but almost
everyone had that problem, include those with Hilman tents. I finally
learned that if you put your tent under the shelter of a tree, you
have less condensation. It seems like most days, when we stopped for
lunch we also put out our sleeping bags and tents to dry. In
Washington we often packed up wet tents in the morning, from the
night's rain, so we still put them out to dry, even though the rain
didn't get in them.

I just made a big mistake, I looked
back and read my journal for the last 2 months of the trail, to check
and see just how much rain we had in Washington (it only rained a few
times in Oregan, Oragun, Oragan, Orugon,
Aregon – that state between California and Warshington,
Washington). Now I'm almost misty eyed with a longing ache in my
heart for the trail and the friends I made there. Class of 2009, you
are going to have an awesome time, enjoy every minute of it!! I
assume you are communicating together already on the 2009 Yahoo PCT
group. If not, check it out!

Also, of the many people who used Henry
Shire's Tarptents for the whole hike, I only heard of one person who
a problem. Rita had some problem, don't remember what it was, and
Henry sent her a new tent, seam sealed and all ready to go. I didn't
hear of anyone changing tents after California.

Listening to the rain
outside as I write this,Sugar Daddy