[pct-l] Shelters

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 18:40:45 CST 2009

Christa,  I've used both and they would both do fine on the PCT.  The
question is really what trade-offs do you want to make.   The Hubba has
a meshed in enclosure that is really nice when it is not going to rain.  The
Tarptents are lighter.  As far a performance they are pretty close to the
same.  The Rainbow is a little bigger and lighter then the Hubba  and is
also free standing.  The Sub-lite is about the same size and lighter than
the Rainbow but is not freestanding (sub-lite also requiers hiking poles).
I personnaly have choosen a tarp tent because of the weight difference.  But
when I hiked the AT there were a few clear but buggy nights when a hubba
would have been nice too (but for me, just not 1lb extra nice).  YMMV

Day-late