[pct-l] Hiking Tehachapi through Yosemite... Best season

Gary Schenk gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Mon Jan 12 23:26:00 CST 2009

On Monday 12 January 2009 19:36:06 Veena Sud wrote:
> Hi -- I'm new to the PCT, training right now to hike end of May (a section
> of it) and really want to start in the mountains, eastern Sierras. My dog
> will be with me and he needs cool-ish weather since he suffered a
> heatstroke a few years ago (and shouldn't hike in the desert.) But will it
> be too cold and snowy?

Travel in the High Sierra backcountry in May will generally require ice axe
and crampons and snowshoes, IMO. Also note that it is illegal to have a dog on
trails in the national parks.

The Southern Sierras can get hot that time of year, but generally is pretty
comfortable. Anything north of Walker Pass could hold snow on north facing
aspects.

YMMV

Gary