[pct-l] Speaking of Pirates

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Jan 11 09:55:08 CST 2009

Bamboo Bob wrote:? On the AT last year as I was going SOBO I met a couple of standard generic NOBO thru-hikers. You all know what they look like. The told me how a few miles back at the Washington Monument in Maryland , they were chilling at the top of the monument's lookout. They could see a family of mom, dad, and two preschoolers out for an afternoon in the park. The children screaming gleefully and giggling climbed up the stars until they saw the SOBOS.... they screamed "Pirates" !!!?
and ran back down in distress.?

Switchback the Trail Pirate replies:?Yes, this is very common out on any trial.? Most PCT hikers look like pirates.? When flat-landers and pilgrims see them on the trail,?the?primeval fear factor of our ancestors takes over.? Like when they saw a saber tooth tiger or thundering herd of Mammoth coming at them.? It is instinctual.? You cannot blame them for running away in panic.? It is the cost of doing business out there on the trail.??