[pct-l] Water tanks

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Fri Jan 9 20:59:40 CST 2009

Not sure if you mean just south of Kennedy or all the trail south of
Kennedy. The guide book does mention more water sources than the data
book, but there are at least a couple tanks that are in neither
(Rodriguez Truck Trail for one - that's in the online update that's not
online anymore.)

As Snap said, some are empty, some are locked.

Discussions from CalFire and USFS say that at least some are not
intended to be used by hikers even if filtered, that they are only for
either fire fighting or for horses. Some are filled using fire engines,
who's tanks are not for potable use, and supposedly could have
contaminants. In any case, these tanks are not domestic water supplies
and therefore not for human consumption. YMMV.

Speaking of tanks, there have been instances where hikers have washed
socks, etc., in the tanks, or even bathed in them. Thinking of the
hikers behind you who might also want water, that's not cool. Even where
there's a trough with water flowing in from a pipe, the next day the
pipe could stop and the next guy will have to take water right from the
trough you were bathing in. Also, for the tanks that are filled by
truck, don't waste water. Don't let them go dry as they probably won't
get refilled until next summer, and the firefighters are counting on
them. Also make sure all valves are closed and no water is running out.

AsABat
http://pct.4jeffrey.net PCT So Cal water reports
Send water updates to water at 4jeffrey dot net

Check Asabat's water report for status of the tanks and other water
sources south of Kennedy Meadows. http://www.4jeffrey.net/pct/ Many have
water but some tanks are no longer filled and others may be locked.

Snap