[pct-l] windshirts & gaitors

GARY HEBERT hikerfedex at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 17:56:13 CST 2009

No info on the Leva gaitors but have used the Integral Designs eVent Shorty
Gaitors on the AT. Love them. <2oz breath well, repell water & scree well.
Once I put them on in non-rainy weather I wore them every day. Even when my
undershoe bungy's wore out they mostly stayed in place over trekking shoes.
I bought various stretchy cord in town to replace during that thru.
Everything from bungy or elastic cord from reels at outfitter stores to hair
scrunchy elastic cord at pharmacy stores. they all worked fine & I just
carried one spare length for minimal weight, though they worked ok without
any. www.prolitegear.com sells them ~$35
Or www.MountainLaurelDesigns.com <http://MountainLaurelDesigns.com> sells
Ron's SUL short gaitors or identical but taller winter gaitors for similar
price. I just bought the longer ones recently. they have an elastic cuff
around the bottom which should help when the under cord wears thru, but I
plan to replace it as above when in towns.

I looked at the Leva gaitors but liked both the above just as well for
features (breathability, etc) at least on paper. (downside of all three is
gotta takes shoes off to put them on, but since I wear them every day I save
zipper weight)

I have a Montane pullover half zip Windshirt (Aero model I think) weighs
just 3 oz. Pertex Quantum. Has Long Drop Tail (for warmth protection in
rain, wind), elastic cuffs & waist hem. SUL, very wind resistant, fairly
water resistant though definitely wets through in real rain. Mega warmth
when zipped up and moving, even in camp or sleeping. Best $100 I spent on
any clothing. Mine has Napoleon zip pocket. New model I think is
http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6836 pretty similar.
$58.PERTEX(R)
Microlight Mini Rip-stop.  Mine not too water resistant now. May try washing
in some Revivex or similar to improve water resistance.

FedEx