[pct-l] Grid, Graph, Spreadsheet in Preparation and During Hike

GARY HEBERT hikerfedex at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 18:50:39 CST 2009

I love your desciption of buy when food gets low. hike. repeat. That was me
on the AT, The LT and other shorter trips. I was beginning to worry the PCT
towns were too far apart and offered so much less flexibility than the AT
buy on the fly method I so loved for the adventure and simplicity. Glad to
hear it worked for you. And I now learned a great variation on the bounce
box....the buy FOOD NOW and ship to the crappy small resupply town ahead vs.
carrying all the weight for 10-11 days or what I might have done...carry the
5 days & maybe a little more and suck it up with whatever crap I could find
at the crappy resupply to get me to the next town. You made my day with your
description though.
I'm not against planning but it just sucks the fun outta goin with the flow
for me. (though I look ahead enough not to get burned.) Obviously I spend
more $$$ and can't be as picky buying on the fly with no maildrops. I may
vary that a bit on the PCT.

Just my thoughts.