[pct-l] Maps

Halfmile halfmile at pctmap.net
Sat Jan 3 01:54:53 CST 2009

Nick,
While the PCT is generally not difficult to navigate, you definitely
need to carry good maps. I am all for HYOH but on this topic, anyone
who suggests otherwise is wrong and it is frankly  irresponsible to
encourage others not to carry maps. Without maps you will be
navigating by luck or using the maps of other hikers you meet on the
trail.

John Donovan might not have gotten lost and died in 2005 had he
carried good maps.
http://www.backpacker.com/october_2006_skills_survival_lesson_how_the_loss_of_one_hiker_helped_two_others_stay_alive/skills/12223?page=1

If you plan on carrying a GPS you will want to have maps with UTM
grids printed on them. Unfortunately the Guidebook maps don't have UTM
(or any latitude and longitude) printed on them which limits their
usefulness for GPS users.

Remember that you can encounter snow on other parts of the trail than
the Sierra.

-Halfmile