[pct-l] Training for a thru hike

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jan 2 20:53:13 CST 2009

On Jan 2, 2009, at 2:30 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Can anyone offer some REAL words of wisdom for how to train for a
> thru hike?   :)
>
> Thanks and Happy New Year!
>
> *Amanda*

If there are hiking trails near your house, put on your full backpack
including food, bear container and water and hike. If not, put on
your backpack and hike to the grocery store and/or the laundromat. Be
sure to buy cantaloup or 25lbs of dog food or something else heavy.

If you have no trails and don't mind feeling like a dork, put on your
pack and shoes and hike in a park somewhere. Get off the concrete and
walk on uneven ground.

Wear your boots or hiking shoes, too. You want to get used to how
your gear feels. I don't think I met anyone who did not get blisters
during the first few weeks. I got blisters for the first 700 miles. I
almost never get blisters. Oh well. It could have been much worse if
I hadn't trained with a fully loaded pack in my shoes and made sure
that my shoes at least fit well. I don't know where the blisters came
from. I think it was just the daily distance in the heat with the
weight on my back and I don't think there is a shoe that can
alleviate that. Only time.

If you can, do some short backpacking trips. This tests your gear and
builds your strength. Plus it's fun.

When you aren't walking with 25lbs of weight on your body, ride your
bike to work, take long walks, run or do whatever cardio exercise you
enjoy. Do stuff outside where you are less in control of your comfort.