[pct-l] Camp Shoes and Such

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 22:25:40 CST 2009

Jason said: "Will I ever really have time to wear them? Will they be
worth the weight."
and later:
"What was the point in reducing my pack weight to 12 pounds if this
doesn't allow for at least a modicum of comfort, ie. a luxury item or
two."

If you consider them a luxury worth carrying, of course ... carry
them, and indeed mail 'em home if later deemed to be not needed.  If
your prime desire is for stream crossings, no need to get them before
Kennedy Meadows.  Or Independence, if you're going out there to
resupply.

There's some personal style thing involved here, but note that you'll
be in a lot of water in other times too, not just stream crossings.
Generally the snow was pretty hard, didn't get wet from the snow
directly, but the transition zone below the snow where it was melting
--- often you just couldn't avoid walking in some water.  Maybe you
want the crocs there too, dunno, but if so I think you'll want wool
socks.

Indeed, there is typically less "relaxing around camp" time.  My shoes
are comfortable enough that I never had the desire to bring camp
shoes.   What I did like to do is carry a second (and different type
of) shoe insert for the first few hundred miles, at least, to reduce
foot fatigue before my feet were fully toughened/strengthened up.   A
second set of inserts aren't too heavy, and can offer multiple options
w.r.t. stream crossings and using shoes in camp too.

On a somewhat related note, Amanda asked:
"... no one has mentioned hiking with wet shoes up into a snow field.?
My reading seems to?suggest that my shoes should dry out by the time I
get from a stream crossing up to the snow.? Is that right??"

For the full-on stream crossings (the big ones), I don't recall going
quickly up into snow afterwards, but per above you can get your feet
wet anyway just from snow melt on the way up.  I don't know why
exactly, but it didn't seem like a big deal, just have decent wool
socks on and keep on trucking.   It seems odd to say it now, and I
would guess that most of the time my feet weren't wet, or at least not
very wet when going up towards a snowy pass, but ... again, if you're
concerned, consider goretex socks or just an additional pair of wool
socks.

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle