[pct-l] Hiker Fitness

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Feb 28 20:44:26 CST 2009

On Feb 28, 2009, at 4:43 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> There perceived fitness when they arrived at the border/
Overweight, but fit enough. Hauser mountain was a cinch to me. It was
less than my local training hikes.

> How long was it before you were making good (relative) miles per day /
I did my first 20 mile day in section A. I had never hiked that far
before. I hiked between 16 and 20 miles every day for the first
month. After a while it had to be 20 minimum and after Sonora Pass it
was 25 mile minimums. Sierras it had to be more than 15.

> How long until "hiker hunger" set in/
Big Bear was when I first realized I needed to eat, but I didn't feel
the hunger yet. After I realized I needed to eat, it began to settle
in and grew to a raging torrent soon after.

> How long did it take for your feet to toughen up?
700 miles.