[pct-l] Bear Canister Loan Program

Alison Scheiderer alison.scheiderer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 16:34:31 CST 2009

Hello all, I am helping with the bear canister loan program this year. I
posted this about a month ago, but I still have some left and wanted to post
it again for the benefit of any of this season's hikers who came to these
lists a little later.

Attention: 2009 thru-hikers - announcing the third season of the PCT
Perpetual Bear Canister Loan Program...

2009 PCT thrus - are you on a tight budget or have limited finances, or are
you coming from overseas or from an area of the US and won't have ANY use
whatsoever for a bear canister after your PCT thru-hike?

You may be able to borrow a bear canister for your PCT thru-hike for 'free'
(except return shipping)...

In 2007, 13 bear canisters were available for loan to nobo PCT thrus; in
2008, 20 bear canisters were available and loaned out from the 'program'
(and an additional 5 through a "one-on-one" or "person-to-person" loan)...

The loan program is currently NOT done on a 'first come - first served
basis', but rather on a show of 'some' need, however small..

If you can easily afford to purchase a bear canister, BearVault has an
excellent buy program (formerly a rental program): a BV500 for $65 including
shipping to Kennedy Meadows (or Tuolumne Meadows or Echo Lake) - that's the
lowest price on the internet when shipping is included, plus they send it to
you right on the PCT...  See
*http://www.bearvault.com/bearvault_pct.php*<
http://www.bearvault.com/bearvault_pct.php>for
full info...

If you think you might qualify for a 'free' bear canister loan for your 2009
PCT thru-hike, please contact me off-list via email. My email is
alison.scheiderer at gmail dot com, and please briefly explain your reason
or need to borrow a bear canister for your PCT thru-hike.  I'll be glad to
answer most of your questions regarding the loan program.

happy hiking,
Laces