[pct-l] anyone have bear or mountain lion stories?

jennifer bbarnicle22 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 18:38:14 CST 2009

> anyone have bear or mountain lion stories?

I saw 3 bears - one just after Sulphur Springs where you head back up (there were all these signs warning of bears in the area - and what do you know there actually was one), one somewhere in Oregon (very specific I know - it just ran away right away so it was barely a glimpse) and one near Rush Creek. That was the most amazing one! It was raining and cold and we were getting close to the end of our hiking day and we decided that we would get over Island Pass and head down the other side and find somewhere to camp. Well there were campsites by the creek and so we decided to stop there and make some dinner a little ways over (but not nearly far enough away for bear precautions...but it was raining and we didn't care :) So we made camp, setting up the 'top' of the tart tent by this big log - just a couple feet between the top of the tent and the log. Just enough room to get in and out and put the line out to secure it. Then we made dinner and got in for
 the night. Well during the night I poked my head out of the sleeping bag to see if it was still raining and half of the tent opening is covered by this huge bear! He just walked right through between the tent and the log, catching his one foot on the line, and didn't even stop to look at us. It was amazing. I could have easily reached out and touched him had I been stupid and wanted to. I didn't worry about bears after that as I figured we did a good job of not smelling like food as that bear didn't even seen to notice us :) Amazing!

Fembot