[pct-l] CAMERA Choices???

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 23:44:47 CST 2009

Couple of thoughts -

There is a photographic event called PMA that starts next week, where
Olympus might  get this out of brochure-ware mode:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092208olympus_micro_four_thirds.asp

It's about the size of a P&S, but has a much larger sensor (though not
as big as the average DSLR).  Interchangeable lenses are promised.
The Micro 4/3 standard has the potential to make quality backpacking
picture taking w/o the weight a lot more feasible. Just maybe not in
time for this year's through, whoops, thru-hike.  Likely expensive,
too.

I bought a Sigma DP-1 a couple of months ago.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sigma/sigma_dp1.asp

I did a LOT of research on it before buying.  I bought it anyway  :-)
It is an insanely annoying and limited piece of kit, but it is the
only camera I'd be willing to carry that can make pictures of
landscapes that look like what I saw.  (BTW, both DPReview and
Backpackinglight.com reviews put up sample pictures that don't show
what's possible with this thing.) I hope to carry it this year, but I
may just toss it off the balcony before then.