[pct-l] mailing labels

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Tue Feb 24 10:18:40 CST 2009

Dear Cascade Locks beer drinking buddy, et all,
    I rejected the PCTA labels when I first looked at  them in 05. The font
wasn't large enough to begin with; they do have errors, and  shouldn't even be
on the site with errors. They also don't cover all the  alternatives for
resupply.
    I put 3 labels on the front of my boxes, and 1 on  the side. I print my
own labels, and double check, probably triple check  everything, once with
someone else to make sure I'm not assuming anything  or making a mistake. I still
screwed up with a wrong zip code once; it cost  me nothing, because I was
already stuck in Tuolumne Meadows for 3  days, waiting on an replacement cassette
recorder for my journal. That was a  rough 4 days: talked to about 25 other
hikers, rode the bus route twice, took 2  showers, and pigged out at the cafe
twice a day.
    On a side is my 2 x 4 sorting label with from and  two locations, segment
mileage, maximum estimated hiking days, and where I plan  to pick up that
box: a PO, a business, or an angels. I also note if my bounce  box is going to
that pick up location.
    On "top" I put a 1 x 2 5/8 return address in the  upper left. In the
lower left I put a 1 x 2 5/8 "Please hold for 2009 PCT  Hiker John Doe - Estimated
arrival ___ ____"; the latter part is left blank  until mailing time, in case
I'm running slower or faster than the plan.
    The main mailing label is 2 x 4, with as large a  font as I can get onto
the label. It just has the usual info.
    All labels are taped over with packaging tape to  keep the ink from
running if it gets damp. I also mark the other 5 sides of the  box in my distinct,
easy-to-find-for-postal-people, trade secret  way.

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of  Texas

Government cripples you, then hands you a crutch and says, 'See, if  it
wasn't for us, you couldn't walk.'
-- Harry Browne

"If you think  health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs
when its free."
-- P. J. ORourke

In a message dated 2/22/2009 9:52:16 P.M. Central Standard Time,