[pct-l] Contemporary Thru Hiking

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 21:43:17 CST 2009

David said:
"... While the hike was extremely rewarding ( - obviously because I'm
heading out again), I suspect most thru hikers don't get the answers
to the big questions answered on the trail.  Or maybe its
just me.  Anyone else want to chime in here?"

I think this has to vary greatly by the individual, though judging
from conversations I had along the trip last year I would guess that
you're right.

I wasn't granted any relevations from a higher power, but I did
appreciate some extended times I spent alone just to get a better
sense for, well, whether I even like myself or not (!).   Our culture
is full of noise of various sorts, constantly whispering --- or
shouting --- in our ears, and I think we must sort of like to have
uncomfortable thoughts drowned out much of the time.    Short of being
stranded on a desert island, a la Robinson Crusoe, a long distance
hike is IMO one of the better ways to get some of that extended quiet
time.

OTOH, I really enjoyed the not-alone times walking with other thru-hikers too !

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle