[pct-l] What is a "Thru Hike?"

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 22 22:35:50 CST 2009

I agree with you Monty. You made your entry at X and hiked thru to Y.  I
don't know if I consider my plan to gain the PCT just south of VVR and then
hike thru to Timberline would be considered thru hiking, but I am not and
have never been a trail nazi purest.  I don't knock those that are if it
makes thier thing swing, but I am planning a side trip north of Tuolumne and
again in Lassen.  However, I've done resupplied loop hikes and stuff I
wouldn't consider thru hikes as these were eight to ten day afairs, nice
long loops, and not like being out on the trail constantly for weeks,
months, though I was but not along a single route with an entry and exit
like a "thru" (and this is how I know a bit about hiking constantly with
only a day off here and there).  Anyway, I'd consider anything of the
entry/exit variety lasting multiple weeks and requiring the necessity to
supply along the way a "thru".  By supply I mean picking upparcels, buying
as you go, or hunting and gathering; the point being you would not be able
to reach your destination without some sort of support whether by your own
means or others help.  I've hiked from Onion Valley to Cedar Grove, east to
west a couple times in a day but I consider that a Sierra crossing.
I know some folks will hollar that thru-hiking is border to border, or from
the legaly named beginning to the same at the other end.  Mexico to Canada
thru the USA via the PCT, and they arecertainly entitled to thier opinion
based on the language I used here.  I hike thru a lot of pain, and thus I am
a thru-hiker.  To say youtried to or attempted to thru-hike the PCT is more
in line with my legal mumbo jumbo. I hacked a section of my shin out when I
slipped on a wet log and am thereby a section-hiker.  Don't sound so good.
I've section hiked most of the JMT using it as part of a  lot of fifty and
hundred mile loops, and the only part I've missed and really don't have much
desire to do is between Silver Pass and Donohue Pass.  But I don't consider
hiking the JMT a thru-hike. It's too short, and hiked by the thousands, and
canbe completed over and over in one season and also exactly when you hike
it can be chosen much closer to jump off.  I've thought of hiking it one way
and then back taking alternative routes.  People are still hiking in to the
brown storage lockers and stashing food and fuel for themselves on thier way
to Happy Isles. Not a good idea if you ask me.
Anyway, call it what ever you want, but if someone tells me they thru-hiked
the PCT I'd think they meant the whole thing.  If Monty tells me he
thru-hiked the PCT in two or three long sections over two or three years it
makes sense to me, sounds fun.  If someone says they section hiked the PCT I
have no idea what they mean.  A week here and there isn't thru-hiking, but
is probably fun too.  There, I said the F word twice and thereby laid down
the rules.  It is now up to you all to break them !  Have "F"

Stephen