[pct-l] Obtaining a leave of absence (from marriage)

Ikem Freeman ikem.freeman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 19:57:16 CST 2009

Jeffery,

That's a tough one ... all the things that Eric the Black said about asking
your boss are going to be the same when it comes to asking your spouce /
family.

For me, the hike was a chance for me to reflect on the end of my 30 year
marriage, and the first time in my adult life that I could actually do
something as crazy as quitting my job and taking 7 months to travel 5,000
miles (biking coast-to-coast and hiking the PCT). Like Eric said, weigh the
impact of your spouce / family saying NO. My mother actually thought that
she could talk me out of making my trek. I had to explain that the very most
dangerous part of the entire trip was the part where she drove me on the
freeway to the airport! Finally, my grown daughter agreed to let me go, as
long as I agreed to take my cellphone with me (it wasn't on my original
equipment list!)

There were a lot of married guys my age on the PCT, and all they could do
was talk about how much they missed their wife, and how excited they were
that their wife was going to be waiting for them at a trailhead in 200
miles! It CAN BE DONE, but I think it takes months if not years, of advance
notice and planning and trade-offs.

I will tell you of a conversation I had with GOOD TIMES at Kennedy Meadows.
He told me that we was going to quit smoking there at KM. I laughed a little
and told him the sad news that it wasn't going to happen ... he wasn't ready
to quit. It wasn't a high enough priority yet (quitting smoking). I went on
to say that hiking the PCT WAS a high enough priority, and he proved it by
being at KM ... and that if quitting became his highest priority, it might
mean that he'd have to get off the trail to make it happen. I don't think he
wanted to hear that, and I have no idea if he ever did either (finish the
PCT or Quit Smoking).

So, is hiking the PCT more important than your marriage? Only you can answer
that. For me, hiking the PCT saved my life! Good luck, and never give up
your dream. Consider section hiking, and get your spouce / family on board
as early as you can, make sure they know you are serious, and I think you
can make it happen!

O. Ikem Sofar