[pct-l] Re: Obtaining a leave of absence

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 10:15:42 CST 2009

Sara, when I did this in '07 for the AT, I approached my management about a
year before my trip.  I explained that this was a life long goal and I
decided it was something I just had to do.  I told them I was asking for a
LOA because I like my job and working here, and would love to continue
that.  I also let them know that while I wouldn't be in daily contact they
could email me and I would check it when I could, but it would likely be
upwards of a week from when they sent it.  As it happened I only got two
work related questions on the whole trip and they were easily answered.  I
also told them I would check in about once a month (this is actually company
policy while on a LOA).  I work on projects with schedules and milestones
(engineer) so I also let them know how I was going to transition my work to
others before I was gone.  Lastly, because I work in a field were there is a
significant cost to hiring - I was prepared to explain to them how taking me
back was in their best interest (they knew my work, were happy with it, and
I would be coming back and be immediately up to speed on what was going on
with our projects).  As it happened I didn't need to convince them at
all.  It all worked out very well as it is now 2 years later and I'm taking
another LOA this year to hike the PCT.

I was amazed at the number of people I work with that told me they had
always wanted to do something like this (obviously not long distance hiking)
but just couldn't make it work.  While I was gone they actually followed my
progress on a strip map I gave them, and announced my progress at staff
meetings.  The only down side I've exprianced was my merit increase for the
year I took the trip was lower than usual and I expect the same this time -
totally worth it in my opinion.

Currently I'm very busy working overtime - taking on extra work before the
end of April arrives - this is my way of helping them for helping me.

Anyway - best of luck,  Don' forget most people dream of leaving work for a
period to do some dream of theirs - and while they won't understand the
desire to hike for 6 months they will understand someone attempting a major
goal they have set for themselves.

Day-late

> From: Sara Dyehouse <saradyehouse at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] Obtaining a leave of absence

For those who sought and were granted an extended leave of absence from work
to thru hike the PCT, what was your strategy?? How did you explain your
goal?? I seriously doubt my boss (in Florida) has ever even heard of the
PCT.? Did you take literature or a book to help explain?? I know my request
(to my boss) will come totally from left field.? Any suggestions?