[pct-l] Long Distance Hiking Effects on the Body

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Feb 22 10:05:42 CST 2009

Unsupported Snow Bunny Reinhold writes: This disorder is probably the result of to many nights at high elevation, resulting in oxygen deprivation, resulting in lack of oxygen to the brain, which causes brain cells to die, which in turn gives rises to a condition known in medical circles as Moronic Hiking Disorder ''MHD''.....very frequently associated with long distance hiking.? Can be fatal if left untreated.....seek medical help immediately.?
?
One only needs to look at ''Switchback'' to see the dreadful effects this disorder has on hikers.?
He thinks raiding & sacking innocent hikers is normal, but we know better.....it's ''MHD''.??Seek help immediately, Switchback.?
Switchback replies:?This is a true story reported by several eye witnesses.
?
Unsupported Reinhold was pulling into a trail town after a long stretch of trail.? He was was having a bout of MHD.

He goes into?hiker?saloon and orders a Scotch with two drops of water.

As the bartender gives him the drink?Unsupported says, "I'm on this long distance hike to celebrate my?many years of hiking."

The bartender says, "Well, since it's a special occasion, I'll buy you a drink.? In fact, this one is on me."

As Unsupported finishes his drink, one of the hot hiker babes?to his right says, "I would like to buy you a drink, too to celebrate all those long miles."

Unsupported?says, "Thank you kindly miss. ?Bartender, I want another Scotch with two drops of water."

"Coming right up, sir," says the bartender.

As he finishes that drink, the other?hiker babe?says, "I would like to buy you one, too.? This is really neat."

Old Unsupported?says, "Thank you too, ma'am.? Bartender, I want another Scotch with two drops of water."

"You bet, sir.? Coming right up," the bartender says.

As he gives Unsupported?the drink, he says, "Sir, I'm dying of curiosity. Why the Scotch with only two drops of water?"

Unsupported?replies, "Sonny, when you're my age, you've learned how to hold your liquor. Holding your water, however, is a whole other challenge.? Yet ask anyone I hike with."