[pct-l] Trail Running Shoes so great?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Feb 21 21:56:38 CST 2009

On Feb 21, 2009, at 7:49 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Trail Running Shoes so great?
Ok, so I got a brand new pair of New Balance 811s in the mail the
other day. I have never worn these shoes before. They are an EE
width, which I've also never tried. I like the width. Feels good. I
took out the insoles that came with them and put in the cushy old
lady insoles I like so much.

I decided to wear them on a hike today. I thought we were going on
just a nice little hike, but it turned out to be an off-trail
adventure instead. Here are all the things wrong with trail runners.

1. These are the ugliest shoes I've ever seen. Ok, not all trail
runners are ugly.
2. I stepped in quicksand and immediately my left foot was wet.
3. Walking off-trail on a perpetual slope down to my left, my left
foot was in danger of getting a blister under the big bone where your
big toe connects. After several miles of this, my left inner ankle
was starting to hurt where the edge of the shoe rubs against it.
4. While hiking off trail I got tangled in a bush and when I stepped
down on a branch with my left foot I crushed my right foot. That hurt.
5. There were these white plants that stuck annoyingly to my clothes.
These things stuck to my shoe laces and to my socks around the ankles
and even fell down inside the shoes.
6. We hiked in a lot of soft, silty sand in our off-trail adventure,
sometimes sinking in pretty far as we went down impossible canyons. I
had to stop a few times and shake the dirt out of my shoes.
7. I stopped to take off my shoes to cross a creek. My feet and socks
were incredibly dirty, especially my toes.
8. I didn't find them as soft and cushy as I'd like. I guess I'll add
another old lady insole to them.