[pct-l] Work for stay at VVR

Ikem Freeman ikem.freeman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 00:12:20 CST 2009

Hey Monty, how are you doing? Here's my story regarding VVR -

I was able to hitch a ride on a boat to VVR while waiting for the afternoon
ferry! It was great. They even put me up for the night in their cabin and
gave me a ride to Fresno the next morning, fed me a great dinner, too!

When I got back to Fresno, the trek back to VVR was a little more difficult.
It wasn't so hard to hitch a ride back to Huntington Lake, but after trying
to hitch a ride from there to VVR for 2 hours without any luck at all, I
just decided to hike it! (It's only 20 miles, give or take a little!) The
next morning, I was able to hitch a ride with someone that has heading up to
VVR for the morning ferry.

I learned an important lesson about hitch-hiking ... if you get a ride from
someone, but they say they can't or won't take you all the way (say, 5 miles
short of your goal), be ready to offer $5 or $10 to have them take you the
rest of the way. One time, I failed to do this, thinking I could get another
ride, but it was getting dark and I ended up having to camp next to the road
for the night.

Happy Trails, everyone!

O. Ikem Sofar
________________________
**
*montypct* montypct at gmail.com
<pct-l%40backcountry.net?Subject=%5Bpct-l%5D%20Work%20for%20stay%20at%20VVR&In-Reply-To=>
*Mon Feb 2 12:32:13 CST 2009*

------------------------------

There isn't always something to do to work for stay at VVR

But

First night stay in a tent cabin bunk is free.  First drink is free.  Lowest
price dinner is $14 or so.  Burgers are not part of the dinner menu.  I
can't remember what the boat trip is to and from, but i would rather take
it.  I hiked the 6 miles of uneven trail once.
Cool place and a stop I won't miss.

Lightweight Backpacking
The fun goes up when the weight goes down
-Warner Springs Monty